Gifts and legacies
In everything we do we are vastly reliant on external donations and support. Much of the Rijksmuseum collection has been brought together thanks to individual gifts. All our activities, from exhibitions to research, are made possible thanks to your generous support.
The Rijksmuseum is the most beautiful building in the Netherlands, that’s a fitting home for my jewellery.
Marjan Unger, 2018
ASSETS & ANNUITIES
When you make a donation, you help support the 4 pillars of the Rijksmuseum: education, collection, exhibitions, and research & conservation.
How can you make a donation?
- By making a one-off or a periodical donation based on a contract or notary act. If you spread the donation over a five-year period (annuity), the entire amount is tax deductible under Dutch tax law.
- Designating your own fund. When you make a donation of € 50,000 or more you are free to designate the goal and name of your fund. You will be personally involved in the progress and expenditure of your fund.
- Assets on loan and right of usufruct. In this case the Rijksmuseum receives a return on your or your heirs’ assets for a specific amount of time.
All donations can be transferred to:
Stichting Het Rijksmuseum Fonds, Amsterdam
ABN AMRO NL22 ABNA 0560020740
KvK 412 14443
DONATING WORKS OF ART
From a silver teaspoon to a self-portrait by Rembrandt, much of the Rijksmuseum’s collection originates in donations.
How does it work?
- You can donate an object or a work of art directly to the Rijksmuseum, or
- You can lend the piece for a specific period of time.
- To pay inheritance tax. A remission scheme applies for heirs who (partially) pay their inheritance tax with an art object by increasing its value by 20%. An advisory committee assesses in advance whether the object in question meets the necessary requirements.
LEGACIES & BEQUESTS
Remembering the Rijksmuseum in your Will represents invaluable support to the Rijksmuseum. From small amounts to an extensive collection, we warmly welcome all contributions.
There are different forms to include us in your Will:
- A legacy in the form of a sum of money, real estate or other assets, which you leave to the Rijksmuseum Fund.
- A bequest. In this case part of your estate is granted to the Rijksmuseum Fund.
- Setting up a designated fund. You can establish your own fund from € 50.000.
- Listing the Rijksmuseum as one of your heirs.
The Rijksmuseum is extremely grateful for the generous support of all its international benefactors.
Europe-based donors can support the Rijksmuseum via the Rijksmuseum Fonds whilst benefiting directly rom the tax advantages provided in the legislation of their respective country of residence thanks to the Transnational Giving Europe network. Discover the partner in your country or get in touch with us should you wish to receive further information.
United Kingdom based donor can support the Rijksmuseum via the Rijksmuseum Fonds, a registered UK Charity. Tax relief can be gained on your donation. For more information please contact the Development Office via the details below.
For U.S. based donors it is possible to support the Rijksmuseum in a tax efficient way through a contribution to the Rijksmuseum American Fund at the King Baudouin Foundation United States. Because KBFUS is a public charity operating under Sections 501(c)(3) and 509(a)(1) of the IRC, U.S.- based donors may claim the maximum tax benefits allowed by U.S. tax law for their contributions. The IRS determination letter and most recent tax return for KBFUS are available upon request.
020 6747 133
020 6747 367
Carlijn van Spaendonck
020 6747 497
WORKS OF ART
020 6747 208
Want to make a donation?
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call +31 (0)20 6747 497
All donations are managed by the Rijksmuseum Fund; a foundation set up to support the Rijksmuseum. It manages gifts and donations which people leave to the museum in their wills. The Rijksmuseum Fonds has charitable status for tax purposes (known as ANBI in Dutch). Donations, estates and legacies are therefore exempt from inheritance tax and gift tax.
"Restoration ensures the preservation of art. That is why I contribute to passing on this artistic craft."
1 | 7
Donor recognition wall in the museum
1 | 7
"In the Rijksmuseum you are overwhelmed by beautiful things. That must not be lost."
1 | 7
The yearly donors dinner in the Gallery of Honour
1 | 7
Stained glass windows acknowledging our donors and founders
1 | 7
"Art is part of our lives. That is why I am happy to support the 19th century department today."
1 | 7
Exclusive exhibition previews
1 | 7