Getting started with the collection:
The Swijgh Utrecht Tower in Amsterdam
Rembrandt van Rijn, c. 1650 - c. 1655
The Arquebusiers, who commissioned Rembrandt’s Night Watch, assembled in the two structures at the left in this drawing. The Night Watch hung in the leftmost modern building of the complex from 1642. The nearby medieval city wall tower had a tall pointed roof in Rembrandt’s time. Rembrandt omitted it to showcase the original architecture. He used such old round towers as scenery in his history scenes.
- Artwork typedrawing
- Object numberRP-T-1969-222
- Dimensionsheight 166 mm x width 235 mm
- Physical characteristicspen and brown ink; framing line in brown ink
Discover more
Identification
Title(s)
The Swijgh Utrecht Tower in Amsterdam
Object type
Object number
RP-T-1969-222
Part of catalogue
Catalogue reference
Schatborn 34
Creation
Creation
draughtsman: Rembrandt van Rijn, Amsterdam
Dating
c. 1650 - c. 1655
Search further with
Material and technique
Physical description
pen and brown ink; framing line in brown ink
Dimensions
height 166 mm x width 235 mm
This work is about
Subject
Place
Exhibitions
Acquisition and rights
Credit line
Purchased with the support of the Vereniging Rembrandt
Acquisition
purchase 1969
Copyright
Provenance
...; sale, Pieter Oets (1720-90, Amsterdam), Amsterdam (Yver et al.), 31 January 1791 sqq., Album G, no. 51 (‘Gezigt van den Doelen te Amsterdam, fiks met de Pen, door Rembrant’), with two other drawings; ...; sale, Jonkheer Alfred Montaldo Boreel (1849-1912, The Hague) et al., Amsterdam (F. Muller), 15 (17) June 1908 sqq., no. 488, fl. 50, unsold;{Copy RKD; note RMA.} from whom, fl. 200, to Frits Lugt on behalf of the dealer F. Muller;{Note RMA.} donated by Antonius Wilhelmus Mari Mensing (1866-1936), Amsterdam, to Dr Cornelis Hofstede de Groot (1863-1930), The Hague (L. 561), 1910;{Hofstede de Groot notes, KB.} his sale, Leipzig (C.G. Boerner), 4 November 1931, no. 182, DM 8,400, to the dealer P. Cassirer, Berlin and Amsterdam;{Copy RKD.} ...; collection Dr Hans Wilhelm Christian Tietje (1885-?), Amsterdam, 1932;{Amsterdam 1932, p. 92, no. 304.} ...; collection Franz Wilhelm Koenigs (1881-1941), Haarlem, by 1956;{According to Rotterdam/Amsterdam 1956, pp. 144-45, no. 193.} his daughter, Adelheid Karoline Martha Boerlage née Koenigs (1922-2004), Laren;{Note RMA.} from whom purchased by the museum (L. 2228), with support from the Vereniging Rembrandt and the Prins Bernardfonds, 1969
Remarks
Please note that this provenance was formulated with a special focus on provenance research for the years 1933-45 and could therefore be incomplete. There may be more (mostly earlier) provenance information known in the museum. In case this item has an uncertain or incomplete provenance for the years 1933-45, the Rijksmuseum welcomes information and assistance in the investigation and clarification of the provenance of all works during that era.
Documentation
Persistent URL
To refer to this object, please use the following persistent URL:
Questions?
Do you spot a mistake? Or do you have information about the object? Let us know!
Rembrandt van Rijn
The Swijgh Utrecht Tower in Amsterdam
Amsterdam, c. 1650 - c. 1655
Inscriptions
inscribed, in a seventeenth-century hand, in brown ink: upper right, doele t Amsterdam; lower right, Rembrant
inscribed on verso: upper left, in pencil, H. Meyer; lower left, in blue pencil, 80; next to that, in pencil, illegible; lower centre, in black chalk, 30-29 1/9; below that, in pencil, H 117; next to that, in pencil, illegible
Technical notes
Watermark: None
Condition
Heavy foxing throughout1Typical of most drawings formerly in the collection of Hofstede de Groot, which at some point during his ownership were stored in unfavourably damp conditions.
Provenance
...; sale, Pieter Oets (1720-90, Amsterdam), Amsterdam (Yver et al.), 31 January 1791 sqq., Album G, no. 51 (‘Gezigt van den Doelen te Amsterdam, fiks met de Pen, door Rembrant’), with two other drawings; ...; sale, Jonkheer Alfred Montaldo Boreel (1849-1912, The Hague) et al., Amsterdam (F. Muller), 15 (17) June 1908 sqq., no. 488, fl. 50, unsold;2Copy RKD; note RMA. from whom, fl. 200, to Frits Lugt on behalf of the dealer F. Muller;3Note RMA. donated by Antonius Wilhelmus Mari Mensing (1866-1936), Amsterdam, to Dr Cornelis Hofstede de Groot (1863-1930), The Hague (L. 561), 1910;4Hofstede de Groot notes, KB. his sale, Leipzig (C.G. Boerner), 4 November 1931, no. 182, DM 8,400, to the dealer P. Cassirer, Berlin and Amsterdam;5Copy RKD. ...; collection Dr Hans Wilhelm Christian Tietje (1885-?), Amsterdam, 1932;6Amsterdam 1932, p. 92, no. 304. ...; collection Franz Wilhelm Koenigs (1881-1941), Haarlem, by 1956;7According to Rotterdam/Amsterdam 1956, pp. 144-45, no. 193. his daughter, Adelheid Karoline Martha Boerlage née Koenigs (1922-2004), Laren;8Note RMA. from whom purchased by the museum (L. 2228), with support from the Vereniging Rembrandt and the Prins Bernardfonds, 1969
Object number: RP-T-1969-222
Credit line: Purchased with the support of the Vereniging Rembrandt
The artist
Biography
Rembrandt Harmensz van Rijn (Leiden 1606 - Amsterdam 1669)
After attending Latin school in his native Leiden, Rembrandt, the son of a miller, enrolled at Leiden University in 1620, but soon abandoned his studies to become an artist. He first trained (1621-23) under the Leiden painter Jacob Isaacsz van Swanenburg (c. 1571-1638), followed by six months with the Amsterdam history painter Pieter Lastman (c. 1583-1633). Returning to Leiden around 1624, he shared a studio with Jan Lievens, where he aimed to establish himself as a history painter, winning the admiration of the poet and courtier Constantijn Huygens. In 1628 Gerard Dou (1613-75) became his first pupil. In the autumn of 1631 Rembrandt moved to Amsterdam, where his career rapidly took off. Three years later he joined the Guild of St Luke and married Saskia Uylenburgh (1612-42), niece of the art dealer Hendrik Uylenburgh (c. 1587-1661), in whose house he had been living and working. She died shortly after giving birth to their son Titus, by which time Rembrandt was already in financial straits owing to excessive spending on paintings, prints, antiquities and studio props for his history pieces. After Saskia’s death, Rembrandt lived first with Titus's wet nurse, Geertje Dircx (who eventually sued Rembrandt for breach of promise and was later imprisoned for her increasingly unstable behaviour), and then with his later housekeeper, Hendrickje Stoffels (by whom he had a daughter, Cornelia). Mounting debts made him unable to meet the payments of his house on the Jodenbreestraat and forced him to declare bankruptcy in 1656 and to sell his house and art collection. In the last decade of his life, he, Hendrickje and Titus resided in more modest accommodation on the Rozengracht, but Rembrandt continued to be dogged by continuing financial difficulties. His beloved Titus died in 1668. Rembrandt survived him by only a year and was buried in the Westerkerk.
Entry
The image is dominated by a representation of the large, round Swijgh Utrecht Tower,9The name of the tower, which means ‘Utrecht be silent’, was formerly to be found on a stone of about 1550, which was set into the structure. It referred to an attack on Naarden by people from Het Sticht (province of Utrecht), which was repulsed with the help of the Amsterdam militia; K.G. Boon, Rembrandt’s Etchings, Amsterdam 1969, no. 3. which was part of the original fortified wall around Amsterdam. This tower was probably built in 1481-82.10The tower was demolished in 1882 to make way for the current Doelen Hotel on the Nieuwe Doelenstraat. In Rembrandt’s time, it formed part of the complex of the Kloveniersdoelen, the guild hall or headquarters of the Arquebusiers’ civic guard, where Rembrandt’s Night Watch (inv. no. SK-C-5) hung from 1642. The side wall and prominent chimney of the modern wing of the guild hall complex (completed in 1627), located at the corner of the Kloveniersburgwal and the Nieuwe Doelenstraat, can be seen on the left. At the far right is a house among trees on the Kloveniersburgwal, as well as a wooden bridge over the original Singel, one of the canals around Amsterdam.
The drawing, which is unfortunately in poor condition, was executed entirely with the pen, with shaded areas rendered with long parallel hatching. Only the window openings and the shadows under the trees feature stronger accents. Rembrandt left out the pointed roof on the tower, which is clearly visible at the upper left of a drawing made from a viewpoint further to the right by his pupil Johannes Leupenius, now in the Atlas Splitgerber in the Stadsarchief of Amsterdam (inv. no. 010001000158).11Sumowski, Drawings, VII (1983), no. 1565x. The motif’s omission in Rembrandt’s drawing was probably not so much because it would not fit on the paper (after all, there is a large gap above the crenellated top of the squat round tower),12F. Lugt, Mit Rembrandt in Amsterdam, Berlin 1920, p. 30. but because he wanted to depict the tower as far as possible in its original form. In another drawing of an old Amsterdam monument, his study of the early sixteenth-century Montelbaan Tower, in the Rembrandthuis in Amsterdam,13Benesch, no. 1309; B. Bakker et al., Landscapes of Rembrandt: His Favourite Walks, exh. cat. Amsterdam (Gemeentearchief Amsterdam)/Paris (Institut Néerlandais) 1998-99, p. 158, fig. 2. he omitted Hendrick de Keyser’s pointed wooden spire of 1606. By leaving out modern additions to these medieval structures, Rembrandt could use them as ‘historical’ buildings to deck out his biblical and historical scenes. For example, a large, round tower appears in the following works: a drawing of The Prophet Jonah before the Walls of Niniveh, in the Albertina in Vienna (inv. no. 8808);14Benesch, no. 950; K.A. Schröder and M. Bisanz-Prakken (eds.), Rembrandt, exh. cat. Vienna (Graphische Sammlung Albertina) 2004, no. 116. a drawing of Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane, in the Hamburger Kunsthalle in Hamburg (inv. no. 22413),15Benesch, no. 899; A. Stefes, Sammlungen der Hamburger Kunsthalle Kupferstichkabinett, III: Niederländische Zeichnungen, 1450-1850, coll. cat. 3 vols., Cologne and elsewhere 2011, no. 852. where it is part of the fortified wall around the town; and in the etching of the same subject (e.g. inv. no. RP-P-OB-142).16B. 75; New Hollstein: Rembrandt, no. 269. The towers he invented for his biblical scenes may not have been consciously derived from buildings he had drawn from life, such as the Swijgh Utrecht Tower, but there are certainly clear parallels.
In the drawing by Leupenius (who was some forty years younger than Rembrandt), the trees on the embankment are much taller than in Rembrandt’s drawing, and if the artists really followed reality in this respect, Leupenius’ drawing must have been made much later (c. 1660). However, Rembrandt’s drawing is probably not such a precise record of reality. For the sake of the composition, he might have exercised a bit of artistic license and made the trees at the edge of the drawing lower than they actually were. The Swijgh Utrecht Tower dates from the first half of the 1650s.
Peter Schatborn, 2017
Literature
O. Benesch, The Drawings of Rembrandt (rev. edn. by E. Benesch), 6 vols., London 1973 (orig. edn. 1954-57), no. 1334 (c. 1654-55); P. Schatborn, Catalogus van de Nederlandse tekeningen in het Rijksprentenkabinet, Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam, IV: Tekeningen van Rembrandt, zijn onbekende leerlingen en navolgers/Drawings by Rembrandt, his Anonymous Pupils and Followers, coll. cat. The Hague 1985, no. 34, with earlier literature; B. Bakker et al., Landscapes of Rembrandt: His Favourite Walks, exh. cat. Amsterdam (Gemeentearchief Amsterdam)/Paris (Institut Néerlandais) 1998-99, pp. 106 and 177-80, fig. 2; M. Schapelhouman, Rembrandt and the Art of Drawing, Amsterdam 2006, p. 67, fig. 60; G. Schwartz, De grote Rembrandt, Zwolle 2006, p. 170, fig. 294, and pp. 263-64, fig. 436; S.A.C. Dudok van Heel, ‘The Night Watch and the Entry of Marie de’Medici: A New Interpretation of the Original Place and Significance of the Painting’, The Rijksmuseum Bulletin 57 (2009), no. 1, p. 22 from pp. 4-41, fig. 19; S. Slive, Rembrandt Drawings, Los Angeles 2009, pp. 156-57, fig. 12.12
Citation
P. Schatborn, 2017, 'Rembrandt van Rijn, The Swijgh Utrecht Tower in Amsterdam, Amsterdam, c. 1650 - c. 1655', in J. Turner (ed.), Drawings by Rembrandt and his School in the Rijksmuseum, online coll. cat. Amsterdam: https://data.rijksmuseum.nl/200117984
(accessed 30 November 2025 06:12:12).Footnotes
- 1Typical of most drawings formerly in the collection of Hofstede de Groot, which at some point during his ownership were stored in unfavourably damp conditions.
- 2Copy RKD; note RMA.
- 3Note RMA.
- 4Hofstede de Groot notes, KB.
- 5Copy RKD.
- 6Amsterdam 1932, p. 92, no. 304.
- 7According to Rotterdam/Amsterdam 1956, pp. 144-45, no. 193.
- 8Note RMA.
- 9The name of the tower, which means ‘Utrecht be silent’, was formerly to be found on a stone of about 1550, which was set into the structure. It referred to an attack on Naarden by people from Het Sticht (province of Utrecht), which was repulsed with the help of the Amsterdam militia; K.G. Boon, Rembrandt’s Etchings, Amsterdam 1969, no. 3.
- 10The tower was demolished in 1882 to make way for the current Doelen Hotel on the Nieuwe Doelenstraat.
- 11Sumowski, Drawings, VII (1983), no. 1565x.
- 12F. Lugt, Mit Rembrandt in Amsterdam, Berlin 1920, p. 30.
- 13Benesch, no. 1309; B. Bakker et al., Landscapes of Rembrandt: His Favourite Walks, exh. cat. Amsterdam (Gemeentearchief Amsterdam)/Paris (Institut Néerlandais) 1998-99, p. 158, fig. 2.
- 14Benesch, no. 950; K.A. Schröder and M. Bisanz-Prakken (eds.), Rembrandt, exh. cat. Vienna (Graphische Sammlung Albertina) 2004, no. 116.
- 15Benesch, no. 899; A. Stefes, Sammlungen der Hamburger Kunsthalle Kupferstichkabinett, III: Niederländische Zeichnungen, 1450-1850, coll. cat. 3 vols., Cologne and elsewhere 2011, no. 852.
- 16B. 75; New Hollstein: Rembrandt, no. 269.















