The Rijksmuseum has a generous loan policy in line with its ambition to show as much of its collection as possible. Every year, an average of 600 objects are lent to museums at home and abroad for shorter and longer periods.
We will be happy to consider a loan application for your exhibition or permanent display. Please take the following points into account:
- Can you meet our terms and conditions for loans?
- Submit your application at least six months prior to the start of the loan.
Address your letter of application to:
Taco Dibbits, General Director, Rijksmuseum, PO Box 74888, 1070 DN Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
Make sure that you provide the following information:
- Name and address of the applicant institution
- Name, position and contact details of the person handling the application
- Reason for your application
- Exhibition period
- The name of the exhibition
- List of requested objects with their objectnumbers
- A recent facility report
If you have any further questions, please contact the Registrar’s Office: email@example.com or call +31 (0)20 6747000.
The Rijksmuseum does not charge a fee for loans. Nor do we charge for preparing condition reports, packing the objects and courier supervision. However, any potential borrower should take the following expenses into account:
- Transport. All transports are carried out by a recognized art transport firm.
- Insurance of objects during transport and the period of the loan
For exhibitions outside the Netherlands:
- Hotel with breakfast and a per diem rate for the courier
The Rijksmuseum aims to provide you with a definite answer within three months of receiving your application. During this time, your application will be subject to the following steps:
- The Registrar’s Office registers the application and coordinates the loan procedure.
- Our curators issue a recommendation, taking into account the availability of the objects.
- Our conservators then issue a recommendation based on the condition of the works.
- In the event of a favourable recommendation, the Registrar’s Office draws up a loan contract.
- If the recommendation is not in favour of the loan, the applicant is notified as soon as possible.
- Any contract drawn up is submitted for approval and signature to Taco Dibbits, General Director.
Two months prior to the start of the loan, the Registrar’s Office will contact the borrower to make arrangements for transport and installation.