Landscape with Journey to Emmaus

Charles de Hooch (mentioned on object), 1627

Landschap met de Emmaüsgangers. Heuvellandschap met links enkele vervallen gebouwen, op de voorgrond een watervalletje. Rechts een oude boom.

  • Artwork typepainting
  • Object numberSK-A-2218
  • Dimensionsheight 45.7 cm x width 65.6 cm, frame: depth 6.5 cm
  • Physical characteristicsoil on panel

Identification

  • Title(s)

    Landscape with Journey to Emmaus

  • Object type

  • Object number

    SK-A-2218

  • Description

    Landschap met de Emmaüsgangers. Heuvellandschap met links enkele vervallen gebouwen, op de voorgrond een watervalletje. Rechts een oude boom.

  • Inscriptions / marks

    signature and date, bottom right: ‘

     • ChaerLes•D•hooch•1627

  • Part of catalogue


Creation

  • Creation

    painter: Charles de Hooch (mentioned on object)

  • Dating

    1627

  • Search further with


Material and technique

  • Physical description

    oil on panel

  • Dimensions

    • height 45.7 cm x width 65.6 cm
    • frame: depth 6.5 cm

This work is about

  • Subject


Acquisition and rights

  • Credit line

    Gift of Mrs Zubli-van den Berch van Heemstede, The Hague

  • Acquisition

    gift 1906-03

  • Copyright

  • Provenance

    …; from Jonkvrouw Maria van den Berch van Heemstede (1841-1905), dowager of Daniel-Jean Zubli (1839-1898), The Hague, on loan to the museum, 1899 (inv. no. SK-C-627); presented by her son, Berthold J.D. Zubli (1866-1945), Bennebroek, to the museum, 1906; on loan to the Centraal Museum, Utrecht, 1924-42


Persistent URL


Charles de Hooch

Landscape with Christ on the Way to Emmaus (Luke 24:13-35)

1627

Inscriptions

  • signature and date, bottom right:  • ChaerLes•D•hooch•1627

Technical notes

Support The panel consists of two horizontally grained, butt-joined oak planks (approx. 12.8 and 32.9 cm), approx. 0.6 cm thick. The left edge has been trimmed, exposing a dowel used to join the planks. The reverse is bevelled at the top and bottom and on the left, and is coated with wax. Dendrochronology has shown that the youngest heartwood ring was formed in 1614. The panel could have been ready for use by 1625, but a date in or after 1631 is more likely.
Preparatory layers The single, beige ground extends up to the edges of the support. It consists of mostly white pigment with some black, blue and red pigment particles.
Underdrawing A sketchy underdrawing in a dry medium, visible both to the naked eye and with infrared photography, gives a rough indication of the architecture, landscape, trees and leaves. It was not always followed in the painting phase; the leaves of the tree on the right, for instance, were initially planned lower down.
Paint layers The paint extends up to the edges of the support. The sky was laid in with reserves for the trees and architectural elements. The open brushwork in the sky and the foreground leaves the ground exposed in many places, allowing it to play a part in the overall tonal value of the composition. Parts of the buildings, branches and foliage extend beyond their reserves over the sky. The latter was completed with touches of the brightest blue sometimes overlapping the foliage. The figures were applied on top of the background and the waterfall was scumbled with thin, white paint over a dark, transparent brown. Large sets of leaves were created with a single movement of the brush, while the shrubs and shadows on the ruins were finely hatched. There is prominent impasto in the leaves, rocks and architecture.
Michel van de Laar, 2008


Scientific examination and reports

  • dendrochronology: P. Klein, RMA, 22 september 2003
  • paint samples: M. van de Laar, RMA, nos. SK-A-2218/1-2, 15 oktober 2008
  • technical report: M. van de Laar, RMA, 15 oktober 2008

Condition

Good. There are some retouchings in the sky on top of the varnish, which has a slightly irregular gloss.


Conservation

  • H. Plagge, 1963: treated

Provenance

…; from Jonkvrouw Maria van den Berch van Heemstede (1841-1905), dowager of Daniel-Jean Zubli (1839-1898), The Hague, on loan to the museum, 1899 (inv. no. SK-C-627); presented by her son, Berthold J.D. Zubli (1866-1945), Bennebroek, to the museum, 1906; on loan to the Centraal Museum, Utrecht, 1924-42

Object number: SK-A-2218

Credit line: Gift of Mrs Zubli-van den Berch van Heemstede, The Hague


The artist

Biography

Charles de Hooch (The Hague c. 1577 - Utrecht 1638)

Charles de Hooch was the son of Cornelis de Hooghe, an engraver and cartographer, and illegitimate child of Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor. His brother, probably younger than him, was the artist David de Hooch. It is not known with whom De Hooch trained. Since Ampzing mentioned him in 1628 as a Haarlem master, he must have been active there before this date. In that same year, however, he is recorded in Utrecht, where he donated a picture to St Job’s Hospital. It was also in Utrecht that he married Claesgen van Thiel on 15 July 1629. In 1633, he registered as a master painter with the local Guild of St Luke. At the time of his death in 1638 and burial in Utrecht’s Jacobikerk he had two children who were minors.

De Hooch’s Riders in a Landscape in Douai bears the date 1620,1Musée de la Chartreuse; illustrated in F. Baligand, Peinture hollandaise: Catalogue Musée de la Chartreuse, Douai, coll. cat. Douai 1978, p. 33. which, however, considering the painting’s style, is dubious. The year should probably be read as ‘1628’, so it would be safer to regard a landscape of 1624 as his earliest dated work.2France, private collection; photo RKD. His first pictures, which are idealized landscapes with Dutch elements, were still clearly influenced by the Haarlem School, whereas the later ones can be placed in the tradition of the Italianate landscape painters. That also covers the distinctive genre of cave interiors – highly fanciful and spookily lit scenes with bathing nymphs and countless imaginative statues and fragments – which De Hooch depicted quite often, compared to his usual output. It is therefore thought that he spent some time in Italy. If he did, it must have been in the years 1624-27, and in any case before 1630, because by then his Italianate style had matured, as can be seen in his Landscape with Ruins and Duck Hunters.3Utrecht, Centraal Museum; illustrated in J. de Meyere, Utrechtse schilderkunst in de Gouden Eeuw: Honderd schilderijen uit de collectie van het Centraal Museum te Utrecht, Utrecht 2006, p. 278. De Hooch’s last dated work is Landscape with Ruins of 1637.4Épinal, Musée départemental d’art ancient et contemporain; illustrated in B. Huin and L. Georget, La collection des Princes de Salm, exh. cat. Épinal (Musée départemental d’art ancien et contemporain) 1993-94, p. 74, no. 23.

Given the influence that De Hooch appears to have had on Jan Both, the latter could have been his pupil. In any event, he was an important link between the first generation of Italianates such as Bartholomeus Breenbergh and Cornelis van Poelenburch, and those of the second, to which Both belonged. Van Poelenburch painted the figures in some of De Hooch’s landscapes, an example of which is listed in a 1641 inventory.

Richard Harmanni, 2026

References
S. Ampzing, Beschryvinge ende lof der stad Haerlem in Holland, Haarlem 1628 (reprint Amsterdam 1974), p. 372; A. Houbraken, De groote schouburgh der Nederlantsche konstschilders en schilderessen, I, Amsterdam 1718, p. 213; S. Muller, Schilders-vereenigingen te Utrecht: Bescheiden uit het Gemeente-Archief, Utrecht 1880, pp. 121, 135; A. Bredius, ‘Het schildersregister van Jan Sysmus, Stads-Doctor van Amsterdam’, Oud Holland 8 (1890), pp. 1-17, 217-34, 297-313, esp. pp. 307-08; C.H.C. Flugi van Aspermont, ‘Carel Cornelisz. de Hooch’, Oud Holland 17 (1899), pp. 223-27; A. von Wurzbach, Niederländisches Künstler-Lexikon, I, Leipzig/Vienna 1906, p. 715; Hofstede de Groot in U. Thieme and F. Becker (eds.), Allgemeines Lexikon der bildenden Künstler von der Antike bis zur Gegenwart, XVII, Leipzig 1924, pp. 451-52; Blankert in A. Blankert, H.J. de Smedt and M.E. Houtzager, Nederlandse 17e eeuwse Italianiserende landschapschilders, exh. cat. Utrecht (Centraal Museum) 1965, pp. 89-90; J.D. Burke, Jan Both: Paintings, Drawings and Prints, New York/London 1976, p. 43; M.C. de Kinkelder, ‘David de Hooch, een 17de-eeuws landschapschilder’, Oud Holland 110 (1996), pp. 145-64; J. de Meyere, Utrechtse schilderkunst in de Gouden Eeuw: Honderd schilderijen uit de collectie van het Centraal Museum te Utrecht, Utrecht 2006, p. 274; Pijl in Saur Allgemeines Künstlerlexikon: Die Bildenden Künstler aller Zeiten und Völker, LXXIV, Munich/Leipzig 2012, p. 424; A. Blankert, ‘Terug naar Charles de Hooch, alsmede over het raadsel van geniaal “rapen”’, in C. Dumas (ed.), Liber amicorum Marijke de Kinkelder: Collegiale bijdragen over landschappen, marines en architectuur, Zwolle 2013, pp. 41-48; N. Sluijter-Seijffert, Cornelis van Poelenburch, 1594/5-1667: The Paintings, Amsterdam 2016, pp. 165-66, 238, 286; J. Gestman Geradts, ‘De verrassende achtergrond van Charles en David de Hooch’, Oud Holland 130 (2017), pp. 111-22


Entry

According to the dendrochronology, the oak panel of Baltic or Polish origin could have been ready for use by 1625, but was more likely available only around 1631. However, the painting is dated 1627, and there is no reason to doubt the signature and clearly legible year. The style, too, fits in with that date. The Italianate look of this landscape is largely due to the southern European, partially ruined buildings that serve as the backdrop to the biblical story of Christ and the disciples going to Emmaus. The Italianate features notwithstanding, the relatively monochrome palette and the old-fashioned rendering of the vegetation still reflect the influence of the Haarlem School.

The circular building on the left is San Teodoro in Rome, at the foot of the Palatine Hill.5First identified as such by Buijsen in E. Buijsen (ed.), Tussen fantasie en werkelijkheid: 17de eeuwse Hollandse landschapschilderkunst/Between Fantasy and Reality:17th Century Landscape Painting, exh. cat. Tokyo (Station Gallery)/Kasama (Nichido Museum of Art)/Kumamoto (Prefectural Museum of Art)/Leiden (Stedelijk Museum De Lakenhal) 1992-93, p. 209. That small church and the ruins around it were depicted by various artists, mainly in drawings and generally from the same vantage point as here. Most of those sheets are anonymous,6P. Schatborn, Drawn to Warmth: 17th-Century Dutch Artists in Italy, exh. cat. Amsterdam (Rijksmuseum) 2001, p. 17. but there are also signed ones by Jan Asselijn7See, for example, RP-T-1969-14. and Pieter Monickx.8Braunschweig, Herzog Anton Ulrich-Museum; illustrated in P. Schatborn, Drawn to Warmth: 17th-Century Dutch Artists in Italy, exh. cat. Amsterdam (Rijksmuseum) 2001, p. 161. However, no drawing of the church by Charles de Hooch has been preserved. Since it is unknown if he ever travelled to Italy, this view of San Teodoro could be based on a drawing, print or painting by another artist that has yet to be identified.

Richard Harmanni, 2026

See Key to abbreviations, Rijksmuseum painting catalogues and Acknowledgements


Literature

C.H.C. Flugi van Aspermont, ‘Carel Cornelisz. de Hooch’, Oud Holland 17 (1899), pp. 223-27, esp. pp. 223, 227; Blankert in A. Blankert, H.J. de Smedt and M.E. Houtzager, Nederlandse 17e eeuwse Italianiserende landschapschilders, exh. cat. Utrecht (Centraal Museum) 1965, p. 90; Buijsen in E. Buijsen (ed.), Tussen fantasie en werkelijkheid: 17de eeuwse Hollandse landschapschilderkunst/Between Fantasy and Reality:17th Century Landscape Painting, exh. cat. Tokyo (Station Gallery)/Kasama (Nichido Museum of Art)/Kumamoto (Prefectural Museum of Art)/Leiden (Stedelijk Museum De Lakenhal) 1992-93, p. 209


Collection catalogues

1903, p. 134, no. 1247; 1960, p. 144, no. 1247; 1976, p. 287, no. A 2218


Citation

Richard Harmanni, 2026, 'Charles de Hooch, _, 1627', in J. Bikker (ed.), _Dutch Paintings of the Seventeenth Century in the Rijksmuseum, online coll. cat. Amsterdam: https://data.rijksmuseum.nl/20028103

(accessed 20 March 2026 16:15:19).

Footnotes

  • 1Musée de la Chartreuse; illustrated in F. Baligand, Peinture hollandaise: Catalogue Musée de la Chartreuse, Douai, coll. cat. Douai 1978, p. 33.
  • 2France, private collection; photo RKD.
  • 3Utrecht, Centraal Museum; illustrated in J. de Meyere, Utrechtse schilderkunst in de Gouden Eeuw: Honderd schilderijen uit de collectie van het Centraal Museum te Utrecht, Utrecht 2006, p. 278.
  • 4Épinal, Musée départemental d’art ancient et contemporain; illustrated in B. Huin and L. Georget, La collection des Princes de Salm, exh. cat. Épinal (Musée départemental d’art ancien et contemporain) 1993-94, p. 74, no. 23.
  • 5First identified as such by Buijsen in E. Buijsen (ed.), Tussen fantasie en werkelijkheid: 17de eeuwse Hollandse landschapschilderkunst/Between Fantasy and Reality:17th Century Landscape Painting, exh. cat. Tokyo (Station Gallery)/Kasama (Nichido Museum of Art)/Kumamoto (Prefectural Museum of Art)/Leiden (Stedelijk Museum De Lakenhal) 1992-93, p. 209.
  • 6P. Schatborn, Drawn to Warmth: 17th-Century Dutch Artists in Italy, exh. cat. Amsterdam (Rijksmuseum) 2001, p. 17.
  • 7See, for example, RP-T-1969-14.
  • 8Braunschweig, Herzog Anton Ulrich-Museum; illustrated in P. Schatborn, Drawn to Warmth: 17th-Century Dutch Artists in Italy, exh. cat. Amsterdam (Rijksmuseum) 2001, p. 161.