View of Judea, the Capital of Siam, Johannes Vinckboons (attributed to), c. 1662 - c. 1663
In 1608, the Dutch East India Company opened an office to conduct trade in dyewood, tin and animal skins in Judea (Ayutthaya), the capital of the Kingdom of Siam (now Thailand). From that post, the Dutch also successfully maintained contact with the Siamese royal court. Already in 1609, the king sent a delegation to the Dutch Republic to strengthen diplomatic relations. The company was ultimately granted permission to build its own shipyard in Judea.