View of Cochin on the Malabar Coast of India, Johannes Vinckboons, c. 1662 - c. 1663
Cochin (now Kochi), on India’s southwest coast, was a Portuguese fortified town from 1500. In 1663 the Dutch East India Company captured the town for its pepper trade. The Dutch reduced the fort by two thirds so that it would be easier to defend. Portuguese monasteries and churches were converted into warehouses.