View of Istanbul from the Dutch Embassy at Pera, Jean Baptiste Vanmour, c. 1720 - c. 1737
The Palais d’Hollande, the Dutch embassy in Istanbul, has always been located on a hill in the diplomatic district of Pera (now Beyoğlu). Vanmour painted the view from the dining room, with the Asiatic section of Istanbul at left and the European area, with the Topkapı Sarayı (sultan’s palace), on a hill at right. The inlet in the fore-ground is the Golden Horn, with the Ottoman fleet. At left is the Bosporus.