Model of an optical telegraph, anonymous, 1792 - 1795
Optical telegraphs were used to transmit messages. Different positions of the arms communicated words or letters. Chappe’s design for this type of telegraph was used in France from 1792 until the introduction of the electric telegraph (1844). Between 1810 and 1813 there was an optical telegraph connection between Amsterdam and Paris, which replaced the earlier Batavian coastal telegraphs.