Diorama of Government Square in Paramaribo, Gerrit Schouten, 1812
This is how Paramaribo’s Government Square (now Onafhankelijkheidsplein or Independence Square) looked in the years when Suriname was under British rule, from 1804 to 1816. The British flag flies above Fort Zeelandia. Behind it, two British merchantmen sail on the Suriname River. At left, the governor, Sir Pinson Bonham, in a red uniform, stands before the door of his residence. His wife is just coming out, holding their young daughter by the hand.