Anchor, anonymous, 1575 - 1593
This anchor was unearthed at Capelle in the province of Noord Brabant in 1822. It comes from a single-masted ship deployed during the siege and blockade of the nearby town of Geertruidenberg in 1593. The siege, under the command of Prince Maurice of Orange, lasted two months until the town surrendered. The Prince isolated Geertruidenberg from the outside world by constructing earthen ramparts, while warships blocked access to the town over water.