Pair of wheellock rifles with spanner from Cornelis Tromp, anoniem, c. 1650 - c. 1690
These rifles or fowling pieces were intended for hunting game. The decoration of antler, bone and mother-of-pearl refers to hunting and the use of this kind of rifle. In 1656 Tromp was involved in the Polish-Swedish War as a rear admiral. He would also have regularly visited Danzig (now Gdańsk), the city where these rifles were made.