Model of the Stern of an 84-Gun Ship of the Line

W. Janssen, 1820

Waterlijnmodel van de uiterlijke gedaante van een achterschip op een grondplank waarin golven in reliëf zijn gesneden. Rond achterschip met een hek van twee verdiepingen, uitvoerig versierd met trofeeën, mythologische figuren en lofwerk, en met halfronde galerij middenachter. De westergang aan de bovenste verdieping, die om de galerij heenloopt, wordt gesteund door tritons en voluutvormige knieën. Boven het hek het Rijkswapen, onder de galerij het hennegat. Vier dekken worden aangegeven door poorten met vuurmonden. Twee berghouten en twee reehouten.

  • Artwork typepresentation model
  • Object numberNG-MC-95
  • Dimensionsheight 35.5 cm x width 55.5 cm x depth 50 cm
  • Physical characteristicswood and brass

W. Janssen

Model of the Stern of an 84-Gun Ship of the Line

Rijkswerf (Vlissingen), 1820

Inscriptions

  • inscription, on the deck:Model van het Achter / schip de Zeeuw / in Aanbouw te Vlissingen / ingevolge resolutie van deze / 9. Mei 1820 N1
  • inscription, on the taffrail:DE ZEEUW

Conservation

  • Restauratieatelier Scheepsmodellen, 2000: restored

Provenance

...; transferred from the Ministerie van Marine (Department of the Navy), The Hague, to the museum, 1883

Object number: NG-MC-95


Entry

Wooden waterline model of the outer shape of the stern of a ship, mounted on a rectangular base with sculpted waves.

The model has a round stern. The taffrail, decorated with trophies, mythological figures and foliage, has two storeys and a half-round stern gallery amidships aft. The upper storey has a sternwalk that runs across the gallery, supported by scrolled knees and a pair of tritons. On the taffrail the coat of arms of the Kingdom of the Netherlands is featured. Underneath the gallery is the helm port. Four decks are indicated by gun ports with gun muzzles. Two wales and two sheer rails are indicated.

The 84-gun ship of the line De Zeeuw, 57.7 metres long, was one of the first ships of the Dutch Navy to have a round stern after Seppings’ design and was built by Cornelis Soetermeer (1782-1842) in Flushing. The keel was laid down in 1819, the vessel was launched in 1825. In 1860 it was converted into a floating battery and renamed Jupiter. The ship was decommissioned in 1873.1A.J. Vermeulen, De schepen van de Koninklijke Marine en die der gouvernementsmarine 1814-1962, The Hague 1962, p. 6.

Another model of the stern of the 84-gun De Zeeuw is in the collection of the Maritiem Museum Rotterdam.2Rotterdam, Maritiem Museum, inv. no. M147, see Schatkamer der scheepvaart, exh. cat. Rotterdam (Maritiem Museum ‘Prins Hendrik’) 1974, no. 8; L. Akveld, Magnifiek maritiem, Amsterdam 1992, pp. 70-71.


Literature

J.M. Obreen, Catalogus der verzameling modellen van het Departement van Marine, The Hague 1858, no. 95; B.J. Tideman, Memoriaal van de Marine, bevattende opgaven betrekkelijk de afmetingen, constructie, ... van Nederlandsche oorlogsschepen en omtrent enige havens, dokken, sluizen, werven enz., Amsterdam 1876-80, 2de afd., p. 9; A.J. Vermeulen, De schepen van de Koninklijke Marine en die der gouvernementsmarine 1814-1962, The Hague 1962, p. 6; A.J. Hoving, Message in a Model: Stories from the Navy Model Room of the Rijksmuseum, Florence, OR 2013, pp. 142-45


Citation

J. van der Vliet, 2016, 'W. Janssen, Model of the Stern of an 84-Gun Ship of the Line, Rijkswerf (Vlissingen), 1820', in J. van der Vliet and A. Lemmers (eds.), Navy Models in the Rijksmuseum, online coll. cat. Amsterdam: https://data.rijksmuseum.nl/200314907

(accessed 30 November 2025 04:01:39).

Footnotes

  • 1A.J. Vermeulen, De schepen van de Koninklijke Marine en die der gouvernementsmarine 1814-1962, The Hague 1962, p. 6.
  • 2Rotterdam, Maritiem Museum, inv. no. M147, see Schatkamer der scheepvaart, exh. cat. Rotterdam (Maritiem Museum ‘Prins Hendrik’) 1974, no. 8; L. Akveld, Magnifiek maritiem, Amsterdam 1992, pp. 70-71.