Model of the Noordwachter lighthouse on Java, attributed to Grofsmederij Leiden, c. 1867
The first iron lighthouse built by the Dutch administration in the Dutch East Indies was the Noordwachter lighthouse on an isle northwest off Java. It consists of a stairwell cylinder enclosed and supported by a twelve sided skeleton. Grofsmederij Leiden cast the lighthouse in sections, which were shipped to Indonesia. This model was exhibited at the Exposition Universelle in Paris in 1867.