Pavise with St Andrew’s Cross, anonymous, c. 1474 - c. 1475

Pavise with St Andrew’s Cross, anonymous, c. 1474 - c. 1475

linden, h 105cm × w 60.4cm × d 14.2cm × t 2cm More details

In combat, pavises (oblong shields), were positioned on the ground for cover and also identified their users, probably crossbowmen, on the battlefield: the shield was blazoned with the arms of the ruler or town for which they fought. Here the red St Andrew’s cross, the four gold firesteels, and the black-white flints with red flames form the armorial bearings of the Duke of Burgundy, who ruled over the Netherlands.

On display in room 0.4

Collections with this work

Patterns

Vaida Gasiūnaitė

March 5 2019 - 17 works 82 0

Verzameling van Eduard Plagge

Eduard Plagge

August 26 2019 - 15 works 27 0

Armour and Weapons

neel

June 22 2019 - 69 works 121 1