Filming by visitors
Visitors are permitted to film in the museum under the following conditions:
- No additional lighting may be used.
- No tripods may be used.
- No props may be used.
- Only hand-held film equipment may be used.
- Filming must not cause any inconvenience to other visitors.
- The film must be for personal consumption only.
Filming by professionals
The Rijksmuseum welcomes film professionals who wish to make productions that bring to life the stories of the museum collection for large domestic and international audiences, subject to certain conditions.
Applications for permission to film and/or photograph professionally in the museum may be granted if the production satisfies the required criteria. Where applicable, the production should:
- Align with the Rijksmuseum’s vision and mission.
- Promote the collection, the building and museum staff expertise.
- Impact positively on the Rijksmuseum brand.
- Reach a target group that is relevant to the Rijksmuseum.
- Be made for media with a national or international reach.
- Be made for our sponsors and partners.
Processing of applications to film in the museum takes approximately two weeks, depending on the wishes of the applicants/producers.
The Rijksmuseum does not, in principle, charge for the use of the museum as a location for professional filming/photography.
Priority is given to applications from current affairs programmes about exhibitions, and to news items.