André-Charles Boulle (1642-1732)
Like his father, Frenchman André-Charles Boulle trained as a cabinetmaker. In 1672, he received a court appointment and took up residence in the Louvre, the royal palace in Paris. His workshop employed a large staff and became famous as a centre for furniture decorated with intricate floral marquetry (inlay) in wood, metal, tortoiseshell and ivory. While many of the designs were by Boulle himself, he also employed motifs by other artists. In 1715, Boulle passed his workshop on to his sons, although he continued to provide work. Boulle marquetry became a byword in the 18th century and his designs continued to be used until well into the 19th century.