Triptych with the Virgin and Child, and Saints Mary Magdalene and Ansanus, Andrea di Cione Orcagna, 1350
Orcagna was the leading Florentine painter of the mid-14th century. This altarpiece, which has survived almost intact, was commissioned in 1350 by a promi-nent citizen for a side-altar in a church. The depiction of the figures of the Virgin and Child and two saints reflects the rather stiff, hieratical style of the period. The frame is reminiscent of Gothic architecture.