Clock and gunpowder horn, anonymous, c. 1590 - c. 1596
This clock was originally intended as merchandise for sale or as a gift. It was hung up in the ‘Save House’ as the only means of providing a sense of time during the long, polar nights. On 3 December 1596, it froze. Barentsz and Van Heemskerck shoved a parting letter into the gunpowder horn when they left. Three centuries later, the horn was rediscovered with the letter still inside. The letter cannot be exhibited due to its fragility.