Figurehead from the frigate Prins van Oranje, anoniem, c. 1844
This wooden figure once adorned the bow of a frigate built at the Naval Shipyard in Rotterdam in 1828. Originally called the Waal, the vessel was renamed the Prins van Oranje in 1844. The figurehead, representing upper body armour with an orange sash, dates from this period. The frigate was armed with sixty guns.