Cabinet, anoniem, Opificio delle pietre dure, Johann Spitzmacher, c. 1660 - c. 1670
From the 16th century, Augsburg was a centre of production for luxurious cabinets, which were exported throughout Europe. The outside of this showpiece combines extremely rare and precious materials. Mosaic panels of various kinds of hardstones (pietre dure) were applied onto a background of ivory, between columns of semi-precious stones. The panels were made in the grand-ducal workshop in Florence.